As a parent we play the most critical role in shaping our babies to be caring, understanding, loving & empathetic to all human beings. I believe it is imperative that I introduce my son to the world outside of his tiny bubble- to different cultures, races, religions, abilities, family structures, financial situations, nationalities, languages & role models.
I wanted to share with you some of the books in our library that feature Black characters & POC. In sharing these titles I hope you find some new favorites to help you continue to diversify your children’s library for all ages.
I have always found that literature provides unique access to these types of characters, stories, & situations & can be a wonderful spring board for conversations that can develop awareness & understanding of others. At the end of the day, if my son can demonstrate empathy & act with love to all humans I will feel most successful as a mother. Here are some of our cherished books that are helping me as a parent in this current reality. If you have others that you love please share in the comments, I would love to know. If you’re looking for diverse books for a specific age comment below, or use my contact page to reach out, I’d be happy to recommend some titles.
- All About Families
- All About Friends
- Luna Loves Library Day
- The Biggest Story
- Amazing Women
- Here and There
- The Extraordinary Life of Rosa Parks
- The Extraordinary Life of Malala Yousafzai
- Babies Come From Airports
- Room on Our Rock
- Can I Join Your Club?
- What a Wonderful Word
- Lenny and Wilbur
- Where’s Lenny?
- My Very First Outdoor Book
- Build Me a Home
- Lift-the-Flap Very First Questions and Answers: Why Should I Brush My Teeth?
- Lift-the-Flap Very First Questions and Answers: What is the Moon?
- My First Spanish Word Book
- Lift-the-Flap Seasons and Weather
- Luna Loves Art
- A Celebration of Sisters
- A Celebration of Brothers
- Grandma’s Favorite
- The Perfect Shelter
- Keeping Us Healthy
- Keeping Things Going
- I Like Animals… What Jobs are There?
- Dr. Maggie’s Grand Tour of the Solar System
If you’re looking for diverse books for a specific age comment below, or use my contact page to reach out, I’d be happy to recommend some titles.